Thursday, December 20, 2012

Grandma Anderson

When I think of my Grandma Anderson I think of love. My sister wrote up a beautiful post about her, and I know I couldn't do any better, so If you want to know more about my grandma go here

Grandma Joye was not technically my grandma, but she treated me the same as she did any of her other grand kids. Every Christmas I was invited to the Christmas party, and got presents along with my five older siblings. (who were technically her grandchildren) Grandma didn't care how we were related, she showed me nothing but love my entire life. She never forgot a birthday, she always included me and called me several times to check on me when Lincoln and Will were in the hospital. 

Tuesday I attended her funeral. And although I was sad to not have her in my life, overall I was filled with peace. I know she is happy and snuggling up with Grandpa as I type. 

As I walked in to the viewing room I felt like grandma was there with us, I heard her voice, it was coming from a video my brother Corbin had made. The room even smelled like grandma. A pale pink fabric lined her white casket that had pink, purple and white flowers flowing from the top. Grandma looked at peace. 

After family said their good byes they wrapped a soft, furry white blanket around her and closed the casket. 

We sang "The Lord is my Light". Grandma had a beautiful voice and loved music. As we all struggled to hit the high notes I wondered what grandma thought about our little number. 

Grandmas brother Dee spoke first. He spoke about growing up with grandma during the great depression, and wearing underwear made out of flower sacks. He remembered Joye as patient, fearless and resourceful. 
He told a story about grandma rescuing a cat that he dropped in the outside toilet. She rescued him with a rake and cleaned him up. The cat was just fine. He spoke of grandmas kindness and willingness to help anyone. 
He talked about Keith and Joyes loving relationship, and how they pampered each other. In Keith's later years Joye called Keith old paint. Joye said she had a perfect marriage and Dee could not recall hearing a harsh word between them. 

Joye's relief society president sang "Abide with Me; 'tis Eventide", and I think Grandma approved of that number. 

Grandchildren's memories were read by Janalee.

Keith and Joye's neighbor from Pleasant Grove spoke next. He spoke about the motorcycle rides the three of them would go on together. He spoke about the love that they had for them. He ended by saying "Keith and Joye are happy today, and they will be happy when we get there."

Joye's Bishop and current neighbor spoke last. He spoke about his eight kids and how grandma was always kind and loving towards them. Even when they plastered her front window in bubbles. 

We closed by singing "I Believe in Christ" 

I felt Grandma was close by, and her testimony was beaming through the lyrics. One verse in particular stood out to me. 

I believe in Christ—my Lord, my God!
My feet he plants on gospel sod.
I’ll worship him with all my might;
He is the source of truth and light.
I believe in Christ; he ransoms me.
From Satan’s grasp he sets me free,
And I shall live with joy and love
In his eternal courts above.

Love you Grandma! 







2 comments:

Soni Levenseller said...

Well said. Thanks for sharing.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

You are all so very blessed to have had such a terrific grandma in your lives.

You and Soni did a great job of paying tribute and extending ever-lasting love to one who had a huge influence in your lives.

I know you both miss her, but her memory will be with you always. What a blessing to have those tender and lasting memories.