Sunday, August 29, 2010

The day started at 8:30. Lincoln slept in. As he was eating Will and I talked about the plans for the day. Will was going to go out and find the tools he needed in order to fix the car, and then we would put Lincoln down for a nap and I would run some errands why Will fixed the car. As he started going around to the neighbors to look for tools I started to get ready for the day. I keep feeling this twisting in my stomach. Something feels wrong about leaving. I felt prompted to stay. Around 10am I put Lincoln down for his nap. Will got a phone call from a friend needing help moving. We both were thinking that is why I felt like I shouldn't leave earlier. Will got home around 12:30, gave Lincoln and I kisses and headed out to the garage. I nursed Lincoln and started heading for the door to run the errands I wanted to run earlier. Again I felt prompted that I still needed to stay. I put Lincoln in the high chair and ran upstairs to get my phone from my room. I heard someone yell "help" that sounded like a child playing in our back yard. I looked out the back window and didn't see anything. I headed downstairs. Lincoln was staring at the garage door. I opened the door and saw Will pinned underneath the car. My brain thought a million things at once. I panicked. I wanted to try to lift the car off of him myself. I grabbed my phone and called 911 while I frantically searched for the jack. I saw it half way under the car. The truck, there's a jack in the truck. They ask for my address, my brain freezes for a second, then I spit it out. My hands are shaking as I try to put the jack together and fit it under the car. The lady on the phone says not to lift the car. I feel so helpless. Seconds latter I hear sirens. Help is coming. The cop is there first, then our Bishop, then all of the neighbors, then the paramedics. I forgot about Lincoln. I get him from the highchair and go back outside. Lincoln starts to scream. They tell me to go inside, so I sit on the couch and wait.....
and wait...He is breathing.....they are taking him to Utah Valley. My head is spinning and I can't breath. I gather Lincoln's things and leave him with the neighbor and head to the hospital. When we arrived they told us a social worker would meet us in the conference room. I start to cry, conference rooms are bad
news. After a whole lot of talking all I heard was, CT scan, possible brain damage, 2-3 days. The Preliminaries look ok from the CT scan. They will start hypothermic treatment to reduce the chance of swelling in the brain. After a few hours of waiting they tell me he is stable and we go back to his room. My Bishop, the 1st councilor, Dave, and Jake gave him a priesthood blessing.
Will's hands are freezing because they are trying to get his temperature down to 33 degrees. It finally reached 33 at 12:30am. They will keep it down for 24 hours, then they will slowly bring it back up. Then they will be able to tell how much damage was done. Until then, we wait.

7 comments:

Aaron and Julie said...

oh cara!!! You have been through so much lately!! My heart goes out to you!! I pray everything will be okay!! You are such a strong person. I wish I could take away some of your pain but I guess that is why we have the savior!!

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Well, you have me crying again. It's all I've done since talking with you yesterday. But I know my tears aren't doing anyone any good. Of course you know that we will continue with our prayers and fasting. I wish there were more I could do. I wish I could just wave a wand and take all this from you.

You are so strong. You always amaze me. You belie your age by how well you handle traumas. I feel so lucky to have you as my sister and I learn so much from you. You and Will are both remarkable. I know Heavenly Father will comfort you and help you both through this. Hugs and prayers. We will put your names on the Nashville Temple prayer roll and will continue to spread the word to family and friends here to include you guys in their prayers. One really can't have too many prayers. :) xoxoxo

*julie* said...

Thanks for the news Cara, you've got A LOT of prayers being sent out asking for the Lord's help! You will be comforted!!

The Bock Family said...

Our prayers are with you and Will.

Deanna said...

We are praying for y'all and hope that Will has a fast recovery!

Lori said...

Cara, my mom emailed to let us all know what happened. I'm so sorry, we're praying for you all as well.

Anonymous said...

Carlos and I both are keeping your family in our thoughts Cara. Love you!