Monday, July 15, 2013

Gone but not forgotten

Three years ago today I got a call a phone call mid morning, I missed the call and checked my phone to see who it was. It was my mom. I dialed the number back as I was walking up the stairs to my room. My little sister answered, from the tone in her voice I could tell something was wrong.

"Cara, My dad's gone."

It was about all she could get out. I told her I would be right over and hung up the phone.
I burst into tears and sunk to the floor. I was so mad at myself for not making the trip to my moms the previous Sunday. I felt like I should, but I just ignored it.

Steve and I butted heads for most of my childhood. Him being my "Step dad" was something I couldn't seem to get over, despite him always referring to me as his daughter.
I remember getting in trouble when I was 16 for doing donuts in our culdesac. I was furious that he was making a scene in front of my friends. Hind sight, I was clearly the stupid one.

It wasn't until I after I was married that our relationship really started to get better. Steve loved Will, and that brought us together for some odd reason.

A week or so before Steve passed away I brought over a couple burgers from Wendy's. I ate mine and Steve struggled to eat the first of the two I bought for him. We sat and talked for a bit and he offered me his second burger. He played with Lincoln, and told him he was going to buy him a pony. I remember thinking "Why couldn't we have just had this relationship all along?"

I am reminded today of the importance of telling those you love what they mean to you.
Of letting go of small differences and living life to the fullest.



It breaks my heart that my boys wont be able to meet their grandpa's.
If there was anything Steve loved more than being a cowboy, it was being a Grandpa.











2 comments:

Raulf said...


I have been rejected by my wife after 3 years of marriage just because another man and she left me and the kid to suffer. One day when i was reading through the web site, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address Dr.Zack Balo a spell caster.have helped a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his email address wiseindividualspell@gmail.com and he told me that a man cast a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. I believed him because of his polite approach and sincerity and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back because i am now happy with my wife.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Just now saw this post, Cara. Please don't have regrets. You did what you could at the time, and we all do better when we know better. None of us are perfect in our relationships, but you are as close to perfect as any one I know. You are amazing!! Just remember the good, and let the other stuff fall away. I know you, and I know you were a good step-daughter and friend to Steve. Don't compare yourself to what might have been. We are who we are today because of some of the hard or difficult times we've had in the past. We grow and learn. I just keep thinking: "Cara is remarkable!" Cara, you ARE remarkable!! I love you forever, xo.