Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thought I would share...


I went to a conference and had the honor of hearing Shari Dew speak to us. (One of my favorite authors) She showed us this video and talked about the importance of motherhood. She related a story about a friend who sat by the guests of honor at a dinner party. The wife was receiving many awards. The husband turned to her friend and said "So what do you do?" For the first time she felt like being a mother was insignificant. She responded meekly "Oh, I stay at home with our three children."
"Oh." The man said and turned away to talk to someone more interesting.

Why is it that we live in a world where if a woman chooses to stay at home with her children she is missing out on something? Someday I hope to be able to stay at home with Lincoln. I've often felt anxiety about this. Should I be doing something more? But what is more important than raising your children? 
"We no longer have the luxury of spending our energy on anything that does not lead us and our families to Christ." Sheri Dew
Don't get me wrong, I know that there are circumstances where it is just not possible for a woman to stay at home with her children. But I still believe that when it is possible it is a beautiful thing.

1 comment:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Loved the little YouTube film. Funny.

The most important and hardest job a woman has is staying home and raising her children. I think that's a direct quote by Oprah. :)

I know it's not always possible, but when it is, there is absolutely no better choice. I worked from the time I was 10 years old to the time I had my first child, and then I stayed home to raise all six of the kiddos. I wanted to be here at the cross roads. My children thank me for it.

It also allows for giving service in so many ways that wouldn't be possible if one has a full time job outside the home.

Please don't ever feel like you aren't doing enough by being a "stay-at-home" Mom. BTW, there have been articles on what it would cost to hire someone to do the work of a mother, and believe me, we make a good salary. :)

One thing I know for sure. Each mother can make that decision for herself when she is humble and prayerful. The Lord will lead her and direct her path.