Monday, February 13, 2012

My Heart Hero

Lincoln is a heart warrior!

CHD awareness week is winding down. It's been inspiring to read all of the other heart warriors stories. During Lincoln's journey I had no idea how many people were going through the same thing I was. And how many more had already been through it.
Congenital Heart Disease is considered to be the most common birth defect, and is a leading cause of birth-defect related deaths worldwide.

So what? What does it matter to you?

Are you pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant?

While the cause of most congenital heart defects is unknown, there are actions you can take to decrease your chances.
Obesity and smoking increase your chances of having a child with heart defect.
If there is even a CHANCE you may become pregnant, take your folic acid everyday. The heart starts to develop early on, folic acid reduces the chances of having a baby with a congenital heart defect.
Get healthy, stop smoking, and take your folic acid.

At the 20 week ultrasound ask questions about the heart. Make sure they are getting a good look. Ask about the four chambers and the flow of blood.

Ask for a pulse oximetry test 24 hours after birth. It is an fast, easy, non-evasive test. Most hospitals don't routinely do them. But you can request one.
Since we had Spencer at a birthing center, we just took him in to the pediatrician to get one done.

Know the warning signs! Lincoln was diagnosed three hours after birth, some babies are diagnosed days, or even weeks after birth.

Tires easily during feeding (i.e. falls asleep before feeding finishes
Sweating around the head, especially during feeding
Fast breathing when at rest or sleeping
Pale or bluish skin color
Poor weight gain
Sleeps a lot - not playful or curious for any length of time
Puffy face, hands, and/or feet
Often irritable, difficult to console

About 1 in 100 babies are born with a congenital heart defect. Only half of those are detected before birth.

4 comments:

Katie I. said...

Lincoln is such a miracle! I love this blog post...I somehow manage to forget every time I see you to tell you about Kellen's heart. Its obviously nothing compared to Lincoln, but he has a VSD. I sure wish we would have known sooner...I saw all the signs but they saw it on a sedated echo at 11 months old. We kept assuming he had silent reflux, lame. Maybe he had both? lol...

Anyway, I hope your monitor comes soon so I can see ya!! Have a great night!

Christa and Randall said...

Cara, thank you so much for this post and for sharing all of the info on CHD. And Lincoln is such a miracle baby, I am so happy for him that he is strong and healthy.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

What a wonderful and informative post, Cara!! I know it will be so helpful to many young mothers and mothers-to-be. Thanks for sharing your talent, knowledge, and time. (and I'm talking about the things you've done besides this blog)

Just seeing Lincoln's pix and reading the post, I literally got tears in my eyes. He will always, always be known as your "miracle" baby. So grateful for that most important miracle in your lives.

Lacey Johnson said...

I'm glad you posted this. There's a lot of good and useful information here that I'm glad to know. I'm so grateful that Lincoln is as healthy and as cute as he is. I remember the first time I read your blog was at night and I just broke down in tears. It may sound funny but I became attached to your story and his journey and I'm so glad it's turned into a happy one! Happy Heart day!
P.s. Grape Nuts are really high in folic acid.. just a thought :)