Sunday, October 18, 2009

Our baby is a fighter

Today was a good day. The last few days have been so emotionally and physically straining that I haven't had the mental capacity or time to sit down and give an update. For those of you who haven't heard I gave birth to our little linebacker on October 16th at 9:06. He was 8 pounds and 2 ounces and 2o inches. I started having contractions on the 15th at 10:00 am-which was his official due date. Around 10:00 pm they started getting closer and they were 5 min apart by 12:00. After 2 hours we thought we better go to the hospital. To my dismay I was only dilated to a 2, so they sent us home around 4. My contractions continued to be every five min and last for 1 1/2 min for the next 11 hours. We went back to the hospital and I was dilated to a 4! They broke my water around 8:00 pm because his heart rate would drop every time I stood up. Pretty soon after that my contractions were a lot stronger. I kept saying I needed to push but they said I was only dilated to a 7. At 8:50 the nurse walked in on one of my contractions and thought she better check me again. (I was squatting and trying to push) I was dilated to a 10 so they called in the doctor. 15min later he was here. The doctor held him up and he peed all over me! Love that kid. It was the most amazing experience! We spent the next two blissful hours holding and loving our beautiful boy. I will forever be grateful for those two hours.

We went to the nursery to give him a bath and they noticed his color was a little off. After checking his oxygen and giving him an x-ray they realized that he had something wrong with his heart. They transported him to the Primary Childrens hospital around 4. We headed up the next morning to Primary and they updated us on Lincolns heart condition.

He has transposition of the great arteries. He will need the arterial switch operation to correct the problem. This is a major heart surgery but they seem very optimistic and he is in good hands! Yesterday was a little rough getting him stable but today was a lot better. He is so strong!
We can't wait for him to come home! We are so incredibly grateful that we were blessed with such a special baby.





24 hours of labor took a slight toll on me.


The only picture we have with his eyes open;)


He is doing so good!






9 comments:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. He is gorgeous and huge and a fighter. Our prayers and thoughts are with you all!!!! What an experience! You and Will look like you're hanging in there. Lincoln is blessed to have such loving and caring parents. We'll continue with our prayers and fasting. Can't wait to meet Lincoln next week. May you feel the sustaining love and comfort of our Father in Heaven each day.

Adri said...

You guys are in our prayers! Keep us posted on Lincoln's progress.

Rowbury Family said...

Hey this is Ashley! I just wanted you to know that I'm watching your blog! Lincoln is just so adorable and such a strong little man!

The Standrings said...

cara! you look amazing! and little lincoln is so so cute. we are definitely thinking about you guys. when is his surgery? carver had to have a little surgery done when he was 6 months old and we had the best experience with primary children's.

Kaela Cusack said...

just love you! you look fabulous :) keep us posted on how your little boy is doing.

Stacy said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! He does look like a fighter (and a very cute one). We will pray for you.

joelb said...

congratulations and best wishes, joelbarber & jenica

Adam and Hilary said...

YEAH for you! You two are a mom and dad that's awesome! Wish I was there to see yr little Lincoln! Primary's is a GREAT hospital. I worked there. You def. are in the right place for him. We will keep Lincoln in our prayers. Miss you!

Deanna said...

He is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story. You will be in our prayers as he goes through surgery.