Sunday, September 11, 2011

Spencer's Birth

I woke up Wednesday morning, disappointing once again that I hadn't started labor in the middle of the night. I got Lincoln out of his crib and started making him breakfast. At 8am I started having contractions. They were 5 min apart but I tried not to get too excited. Around 10am Will came into the living room and noticed I was having one. He made a joke about having the baby today and I said "I better be, they have been every 5 min for the last 2 hours." We were both excited but knew we were still a ways away from actually having the baby. I was in labor with Lincoln for 24 hours.

So we decided to go to Costco to kill some time. I had been craving their delicious chocolate donuts for weeks and had resisted, but I figured I deserved them. My contractions stayed every five minutes through the whole trip. I got some interesting looks when I had to stop walking in the middle if the isle and had to squat down on the ground. Going to Costco with your pregnant/in labor wife is a good way to spend too much money. Everything I picked up of the shelf and said "oooo that looks good." Will threw into the cart. We came home, put Lincon down for a nap and put on a movie that Will insisted was hilarious. Half way through I decided I would rather be relaxing in the tub. I decided I better have my mom come over to watch Lincoln since I had been having contractions that lasted a min. every 5 min. for the last 6 hours. I relaxed in the tub for a bit and then we headed over to the birthing center around 4pm. To my dismay I was only dilated to a 2. I wanted to cry, but my midwife was very reassuring and said I just had a little more work to do. Will and I walked around the mall for a while and went to the movies. We decided we better go to the dollar theater in case we had to leave.

We got home around 8pm. My little sister came over to spend the night and my mom went home. I got in the tub again and around 930pm I started to feel Spencer moving down. We called our midwife and told her what I was feeling. We met her at the center at 10:30. They checked me again and I was a 6 1/2. Wahoo progress. We hung out in the room for a bit and then got in the tub again at 11pm. We debated having them break my water so we could get Spencer here before our anniversary. We decided not to and just to let him decide when he was born. After pushing for about 20 min my sweet baby Spencer entered the world at 12:14am on September 8th.

I can not explain the pure exhilaration you feel from holding your baby for the first time. Such an amazing experience! The best part, we took our baby home with us! He is perfection and I am in love with him!
I hear him cry in the night and it makes me smile. It's so nice to have him home with us. He is the sweetest thing ever!

6 comments:

Deanna said...

Amazing! I love birth stories. I always try to envision going into labor in the morning after I've had a good nights rest. Lucky you :) Congrats again.

Holly said...

Thank you for posting this. I'm so glad Spencer is healthy & HOME with you! It is so wonderful & such a blessing to have a healthy baby. Hope life with 2 kids is going well! Spencer is adorable!

Adam and Hilary said...

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your birth story. Isn't the tub amazing?? water does wonders during labor pains! My bro was born on my parents anniversary also. We just have a big party every year.
Spencer is precious!

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Thanks for sharing. What a special story that you'll remember forever. So glad it all went well and that you were able to bring a healthy baby Spencer home. I'm sure it is such a treat to have him right there with all of you.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

PS ~ Sydney, one of the triplets was here tonight and said to me: "Grammy, Grammy! Did you read Cara's post? Wasn't it just so wonderful and the baby is sooooo cute!" (refering to the post with baby pix) She turns 11 this month, but she never misses reading your post. I reminded her that she will get to hold baby Spencer next month. :) She got this huge smile on her face.

Lori said...

Sorry I'm a bit late, but congratulations!! he's a charmer for sure!