Monday, November 9, 2009

8 hours!

Someone had to have been praying like crazy for me. Maybe several people were. I slept for 8 hours last night! It was amazing! I feel a lot better after actually sleeping for more than an hour here and there. So, thank you, thank you, thank you, to whoever prayed for me!

I called the doctor yesterday from Urgent Care to ask about my cultures. They were waiting to see what they grew in order to verify I was on the correct antibiotic. Depending on what type of bacteria grew, the doctor was going to see if they could find an antibiotic that would be safe in breast milk. Unfortunately, I am stuck with the one that isn't safe. While I had him on the phone I asked him if it was normal that my stomach was still hurting and that I still had a high temperature (He wasn't the same doctor that I had from Saturday, I liked her). This is how our conversation went:

Dr. : Tell me what you are feeling.
Me: My stomach hurts and I have a fever. Is that normal, after being on an antibiotic for 2 days?
Dr.: Where does it hurt?
Me: Right under my ribs.
Dr.: I don't know why you would be hurting there. That's not where your kidneys are. You better just come in, I can't diagnose you over the phone.
Me: Well, that's not where a normal persons kidneys are, but I did just have a baby. Isn't it possible that my kidneys are still a little displaced?
Dr.: Yeah, that's a possibility. I would have to have you come in to know exactly whats going on.
Me: I just came in 2 days ago, and they diagnosed me with a kidney infection. So now I am wondering how long it takes for the pain to go away.
Dr.: Well, typically it goes away in the first two days. So I would suggest coming in to make sure there isn't something else going on.
Me: Well, Dr. Carpendale was under the impression that I have had this infection for a few weeks. So wouldn't it take longer for me to recover than someone who only had it for a few days?
Dr.: Yeah, that's a possibility.
Me: Are you sure your not just the janitor pretending to be a doctor?

That's what I wanted to say. One of our many lessons learned. Just because someone knows more about medicine than you do, does not mean they know more about you than you do. I have definitely learned to question doctors after spending 3 weeks with Will in the hospital.

4 comments:

Soni said...

glad you got some sleep finally! Hope you're feeling better today. love ya!

Adri said...

I'm so glad you got some rest! I hope you get to feeling 100% better soon (or as 100% as a new mom can get).

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Cara, my sweet, sweet sister. I am so sorry for all you've had to go through. But you and Will and Lincoln are all handling everything so well. And one day, you'll be able to look back on all of it as a "learning" experience, and you will definitely be stronger for it. You know we will continue praying for you all for as long as you need. One word about "medicines." If you're dumping your breast milk, then go ahead and take the pain killers, etc. But once you aren't, be careful. Even over-the-counter meds can be bad for baby. Ask your doctor about Melatoin? It's a more natural sleep aid and definiely helps your mind to turn off. I've never taken it, but know those who have, and they swear by it. Hang in there!! You are doing such a good, good job!! Oh, and so nice that Soni and hubby were able to come visit you guys! Loved the pix of SF---my old stomping grounds.

SpencernAmy said...

Cara, I hope you don't mind a complete stranger reading your blog. My sister-in-law (Julie Guptill Ward) had a link to yours in one of her posts and mentioned what a great story you have. Anyway, I've been in tears through 4 pages of your posts (I'm not done yet) and then I laughed outloud at your 'janitor pretending to be a doctor' comment. I think you are amazing to have such a great sense of humor during an awful ordeal. If you ever want to bring your family to Sea World or anywhere else in the San Diego area, I would love to meet you and would even offer my home as a place to stay.
I will pray for Lincoln to continue to do well,
Amy Ward