Sunday, November 8, 2009

Will finally gets to shave!

Will decided that he wasn't going to shave until Lincoln got his surgery. He was getting a little scruffy.
Awww, no more itchy beard. I love this guy. Here is another picture of Lincoln. We will take some post-op pictures after his chest is closed. I think he is winking at me in this one.

On Saturday we went to Fisherman's Wharf. My sister Soni and her husband drove 11 hours to come spend the weekend with us. (Aren't they sweet?) They wheeled me around in a wheel chair all day because I could barley walk. It was nice to get out of the hospital and take our minds off things for a few hours. On our way to San Fransisco Will missed an exit because he couldn't hear the GPS over me singing to Miley Cyrus. So we got to go over the Bay Bridge twice! And of course pay the toll on the way back.

I remember when we were first informed about Lincolns heart condition they said he would be in the hospital 2-3 weeks. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to wait that long. We are going on 4 weeks now and it is amazing how fast the days go by. When you have a child they completely consume your life, in a good way. All that concerns me is the well being of my baby. Hours fly when I sit by his bed and stroke his little head. I dread the nights. They are my enemy. Perhaps I don't sleep because my body is confused and thinks that since I just had a baby I should be up all night.
Last night I got in bed exhausted. But, I didn't fall asleep until 1am. Then I woke up. There I was wide awake, terrified to look at the clock. I had only been asleep for 30 minutes. I kept tossing and turning trying to get in a comfortable position. Poor Will woke up every time I made a sound and checked to see if I was ok. Finally I get comfortable and I hear someone in the next room snoring. Then Will starts to snore. Will doesn't snore, he says I snore, so I start to laugh, which in turn makes my stomach hurt. I get to sleep again and have a few dreams. Then I hear a baby crying. Wide awake again and it's only 2am. I find a comfortable position but I still can't sleep because I can hear my heart beating in my pillow. 3am, Time to pump and then dump it down the drain because I am on a stupid antibiotic. I get back in bed wide awake. Then I start thinking (which is always a dangerous road) and I can't stop. I kept telling myself to shut up but I couldn't. I had to finish every thought process that came across my brain. Hopefully I will sleep better tonight.

Has anyone ever had a kidney infection? How long does it hurt after you start the antibiotic? Is it normal to be in pain every time you walk or am I just a baby?

9 comments:

Justine said...

Kidney infections are very painful! No you are not just being a baby. I promise. The antibiotics should start making you feel better after a couple days of taking them. I got one like a week after I got my gallbladder out and it seems like it started feeling better after a few days of taking them but I don't know if mine was as bad as yours.I'm so glad you guys got to get out and do something fun for awhile.I'm sorry youre having a hard time sleeping.Have you tried taking sleeping pills or benadryl to make you tired? If not you should try to.I have to take sleeping pills every night or I lie awake tossing and turning.Its no fun.

Katie I. said...

They are MISERABLE! You are the opposite of a baby, mrs! I am so happy Lincoln is okay and that you are on the road to recovery! We are so anxious to see you guys :)

Deanna said...

I had a kidney infection when I was pregnant with my first. I had to go in 2 consecutive days to get the antibiotic shot. I think the day after I got the 2nd shot I started to feel better. It sounds like you didn't get a shot, just taking orals. I think that might be why it's still hurting since orals aren't as fast as an injection. But, you should feel better soon!

Doug and Bethany said...

Hey, you don't know me but we are in your ward. I've been following your blog and am so happy your little baby is doing well. I had a baby 4 months ago, and have had 5 kidney infections since. The pains should be gone within 3-4 days after you started your antibiotic. They are miserable, and I feel your pain..I'm actually just getting over one. Ibuprofen always helps! Good luck with everything!

Soni said...

I'm glad you have such an awesome sister :) (heehee) It was great to spend some time with you all- I loved seeing Lincoln with his eyes open!

Justine got her gall bladder out??? How did I not know this?

The Bock Family said...

Hey Will...it's Katie. Hi Cara....we haven't met but Will and I were good friends in high school. I had no idea about your baby until I came across your blog and went way back to read everything. I cried all the way through it and have prayed for you the past few nights. I just had my second baby a few months ago and you have definitely made me realize how much I love my babies and how cherished they are. I wish you guys the best and hope all continues to go well.

Leanne said...

First of all Cara- there is no way in the WORLD that you are a baby. You just HAD one! You are still recovering from labor, so that might play into the pains a little too. Honestly, I just want you guys to know that you are rockstars. I read you blog and just am in awe at how amazing you guys have been through this whole process. I can't even imagine how painful it must be to not get to be with your precious Lincoln as often as you would like. I am so glad that the surgery went well. I am praying for a fast recovery and no more stolen credit cards or kidney infections!!

Holly said...

I'm so sorry about your kidney infection. Hopefully you get feeling better soon--I can't even imagine having to deal with that pain along with everything else! And I'm sorry Lincoln is still in the hospital--much longer than you originally thought. The same kind thing happened to us, where Tucker was in the hospital about twice as long as they originally told us (of course not as long as Lincoln though). I guess it's kind of good that you don't realize how long it's going to be right at the start (with all the postpartum hormones and everything), but then it's sad when it goes on so much longer. Hang in there! And I'm so sorry you have to throw away the milk you pump because of the antibiotic! I'm so proud of you for sticking with pumping; it's so hard. Anyway, glad you got to get out and do something fun with your sister! Hope you slept better last night!

Stacey Fay said...

Hey, I've had more kidney infections than I can count. The worst is driving in the car, every little bumb kills! It does take a few days to start feeling better but it will. Take pain killers. The thing I hated was they tell you to drink lots of water and so you do, but then you forget to go to the bathroom or you can't cause there aren't any available, which in turn makes your kidney's hurt more! I feel your pain! Drink cranberry juice. But real cranberry juice, not cocktail cranberry juice.