Friday, November 6, 2009

First Day Post Op

So with Lincoln having had his surgery now and finally getting on the road to recovery, I think all the stress and lack of sleep finally caught up to Cara's body today as she needed to be taken to urgent care for a fever of 103.5 and severe stomach pains. Turns out she has had a kidney infection brewing for probably going on a couple weeks now and she finally allowed her body to fully manifest the symptoms. They gave her some antibiotics and pumped her full of fluids to decrease her fever and increase her blood pressure so hopefully she will be feeling better by tomorrow. We are becoming way too familiar with the hospital scene. You know you've been around doctors and nurses too long when you can interpret the results your wife's CBC blood test and make a recommendation to the doctor as to what broad spectrum antibiotic to prescribe.

Ironically, five minutes away at the exact same time Lincoln was receiving fluids as well to increase his blood pressure. It was no big deal or anything. Apparently immediately following large surgeries they have to be constantly regulating the drips and other supports as their blood pressure and other vitals fluctuate. But as far as first days after surgery go, they told me that he had a fantastic day! His recovery seems to be off to a great start and they anticipate enough of the swelling going down to be able to close his chest by Sunday. Also they said that most post ops about 12-18 hours after surgery usually experience a slump in there vitals, but Lincoln just coasted right through without any problems. Unfortunately, Cara couldn't be there what with barely being able to move from a combination of the pains of the infection and pure exhaustion. But one of the first things the nurse told me was that Lincoln is so strong. I almost teared up right there. I immediately thought of how many times we've prayed for and blessed him to have the strength to endure all of this and, as she said that, the realization hit that those prayers along with all of yours had been heard and answered. So again thank you so much!

We are just simply in awe at the surgical capabilities that we've been able to witness and the tender mercies of a loving Father in Heaven. Truly amazing! This definitely has been a time of extreme growth for all of us. It never ceases to amaze me, the composure and resilience that Cara has shown throughout everything as she continues to face and conquer new battles every single day and I am positive that she has genetically passed these qualities as well as her strength on to our son. I know that I'm supposed to be the example and role model for him, but thus far that is exactly what he has been to me.

10 comments:

Soni said...

Nicely said Will, Lincoln is truly amazing to us all! now go to bed and get some sleep so you don't fall over too!

Anonymous said...

Will, it was so nice to hear you write, you are a really good writer! I loved what you said about Cara's strength and resilience and passing that on to Lincoln. I totally cried when I read that. I'm so happy you and Cara have each other through all of this.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

We're finally home and able to make some comments from our "home-sweet-home" computer. I loved reading the "surgery-day" post. Brought tears to my eyes. Loved this post, too, Will. I totally agree that Cara is a tower of strength---and you, too. And now Lincoln. A nice trait to have in a family---that strength and resilence. We continue to pray all day long every day for all of you. Give Cara a hug for me. One last thing--I've also enjoyed reading the comments. I tear up as I read them. You have so many friends and family giving support and love. It's very touching. Hang in there!! xoxo from TN

Troy said...

We're so happy to hear that Lincoln is having such a good post-op recovery. Hope that Cara will be feeling better real soon!

*julie* said...

A - mazing. All of you. The world needs people like you. Thanks for sharing Will - it's nice to hear it from your point of you too!
Now I need another box of kleenex...

Holly said...

What a wonderful post. You three are all so strong and an example to us all. So glad to hear that Lincoln is doing so well, and so sad to hear about Cara. Hope Cara gets feeling better soon, and hope Lincoln continues recovering well. Thanks for writing Will--it was nice to hear from you too.

Deanna said...

I'm so glad that he's doing so well. The Lord hears our prayers, that's for sure. You are also very strong Billy. Lincoln has some great parents then. It's amazing how children teach us so much in such a short amount of time on earth. Glad to have found your blog so I can keep updated on your life!

The Mansanarez Fam said...

Wow! What else can I say. You Three seem to make a real great team. Keep it up! Wonderfully said Will. What a fabulous Daddy and Husband you are. Tell Cara Hi and Hope she gets feeling better soon. Thank goodness for antibiotics, and here's to a great second day of recovery for all of you!!

Justine said...

Cara I hope you start feeling better soon! I'm glad Lincoln got your super power strength:)You are amazing little sis.Hopefully he doesn't get your clutzyness:)hahaha jk.Love you guys!!!

Gina said...

Hey Will. This is Gina (your cousin from long ago in Georgia). I want to congratulate you on the birth of such a beautiful baby! My grandma Anita told me about his condition,and I wanted to let you know that I am thinking about him. I wish him a speedy recovery, and may he soon be home with your family where he belongs. We are all thinking about you in GA. With love- Gina Shaffren