Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Notice anything different?

We took out the tube! I went to the pediatrician on Monday, and he said that as soon as Lincoln was taking 50ml of the 60 by mouth then he would take out the feeding tube. At the time Lincoln had not been making much progress and would cry every time he had to swallow. I mentioned that the tube seemed like it was irritating him and the Doctor said "It might be uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt." In my book, pain and discomfort are one in the same for infants. It's not painful to have a poopy diaper but they sure let you know if they have one.

So after much thought, Will and I just pulled the tube out ourselves last night. Before you think we are neglectful parents, hear me out. We came to the conclusion that the tube was causing inflammation in his throat which was making it hard to swallow. So we started him on ibuprofen yesterday to help with the possible swelling and just fed him everything through his tube the next two feedings to avoid him having to swallow and further irritate it. When we pulled the tube we discovered dried milk up the entire tube and a hard green thing Will described as similar to a rose thorn right around the section that would have been in his throat. I refused to touch it. Lincoln has taken the five bottles since then like a champ. He even requested the last two after two hours instead of the usual three. Hopefully the tube is gone for good. If he isn't gaining wait by his next appointment they may make us put it back in.

We are all adjusting well to being home. Today I was trying to get Lincoln to take a nap, thinking of all the things I was going to do once he was asleep, showering being one of them. Once he was asleep I had a hard time wanting to put him down. I just held him in my arms and couldn't stop staring. He is such a sweetheart! We love him so much and he has brought great joy into our lives.

7 comments:

Courtney Bready said...

Cara your baby is so beautiful! It was so good to see you guys back at church on Sunday! I've been diligently following your blog since the birth and am so happy for your little family and how well everything is turning out for you! You have definitely been in our prayers :)

Soni said...

he looks so good! I'm glad you got the tube out- hope it helps! can't wait to see him!

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

I think you were smart to take the tube out. I'm guessing he will gain much better now. I agree---discomfort for a baby can equal pain. Loved the pictures, as always. Give Lincoln a hug for us.

Deanna said...

High five for taking the tube out. I'm sure you've both learned from this experience that most of the time parents know what is best for their children and not medical "professionals". He looks so great! So happy things are getting back to normal for your family.

Anonymous said...

Okay so we were just talking at your house about how we wondered who he looked like most, well in that picture he TOTALLY looks like you. Hands down. :-)

I'm glad you took the tube out, I think it was a wise decision for him. And I totally agree about there not really being a difference between discomfort and pain for babies. You two are such good parents. Loves!

Justine and Kolby said...

I'm so glad I got to see you guys last night! I still can't get over how big Kolby looks compared to Lincoln! He is such a cutie I already love him to death! Remember I will come help you anytime you need a nap or a break K.

Holly said...

I'm just now catching up after being out of town. Hooray for no more feeding tube! Hopefully he's gained weight and been able to keep it out. Good for you for following your parents' intuition and doing what you thought was best--even if it wasn't necessarily what the doctors said to do. I had a really hard time with that. And I say hold him as much as you want as long as you want--showers can always come later! I tried to let myself not worry about always looking great or having a perfectly clean house, and instead I tried to focus on enjoying being a mom and being able to hold my baby. Looking back, I'm so glad I did it back then, because he won't let me hold him for more than a few seconds now! You are such a good mom!