Thursday, November 5, 2009

Today was the day!

Last night the doctor informed us that we were on the schedule for Thursday, and we should call at 5am to verify. I tossed and turned all night, awaiting that 5am phone call. Will called right at 5 and they said they didn't know yet and would call us back. (They were waiting for the labs with his white blood cell count and such.) At 5:40 we got the call, the numbers looked good and they were just waiting for the go ahead from the surgeon. We got ready and headed to the hospital. The whole time we didn't know how to feel. There was still a chance that they wouldn't do his surgery today. When they finally wheeled him into the OR it was real. We kissed him goodbye and the thought that I might never see him again crossed my mind for a split second. Then I knew with out a doubt, that I would. I was surprisingly calm and had such a reassuring feeling of peace. I knew that everything would be ok. I am so grateful for the spirit we had through out the day.

The 9 hours went surprisingly fast. We went to breakfast and then went and took a nap in the parents lounge. Around 3:30 our case manager Lupe told us that Lincoln would be up in 45 min. My first thought was "Are you allowed to tell us that." We walked around a bit trying to figure out where we should wait. We both had this scenario in our heads of the surgeon coming through two swinging doors and giving us the news. However since Lupe had already told us that it went well we didn't have to sit there anxiously waiting for that situation to play out. We were grateful for that.

We came upstairs and waited for about 10 min. before they called us in to talk to the surgeon. He told us that everything went well. He ushered us into his room through the mob of doctors and nurses and told us to give him a kiss. There was my baby laid out on a bed with his chest gaping open. I watched it rise and fall and saw his tiny little heart beating strong. I thought I would be horrified by the sight but I was simply amazed that they were able to perform such a complicated surgery and so grateful that we live in a day and age where this was possible.

Every time I see a nurse or doctor that was involved in getting him to where he needed to be, my heart swells with gratitude. I will write more a little bit later. They just told us we can come back in. Thank you all so much for all of your prayers!

9 comments:

Holly said...

You guys have been in our thoughts and prayers all day. So glad to hear the surgery is done and that everything went well. What an amazing blessing to live in a time when they can perform such an intense surgery on such a little person. And did you really see him with his chest open? Before he got all stitched up? How kind of the surgeon to bring you in to give him a kiss--I teared up when I read that part. Little Lincoln is so blessed to have you as parents. You all will continue to be in our prayers, and we hope his recovery goes well. Congratulations on having this part finally past you.

The Standrings said...

i am so so relieved to hear that everything went well.

Dylan, Holly, and Aspen said...

We are definitely blessed to live in these days where they have come to know so much and how to treat people with the right medical care. We are so happy to hear that everything went well with the surgery and that they were finally able to get him in. It is not fun playing the waiting game. We continue to pray for your family and hope that you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you were able to have such peace with you throughout the day. It made me cry. I'm so grateful everything turned out okay. We will keep praying!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you were able to have such peace with you throughout the day. It made me cry. I'm so grateful everything turned out okay. We will keep praying!!!

Christy Gunnell said...

I am so happy and relieved for you three! I teared up just reading the emotions you had throughout the day. What a blessing! I hope recovery for little Lincoln goes fast because we are all excited to have you three back!!

Matthew said...

That's great news, you three. What a terrific blessing. Thank you for sharing how the Spirit touched you at various points throughout the day.

C and K said...

Amazing!!! So happy the surgery is done and was successful!!!!

Kenny and Kelli Ray said...

You don't know, but I'm Jen Ray's sister-in-law and I've been following your story through her Facebook page. I am so happy that your baby is doing well. I just had my first a month ago and I can't imagine going through what you have been through. I hope his recovery is speedy and goes well and that your lives will heal. Best wishes.