Monday, November 9, 2009

On the road to recovery

We have our first picture of Lincoln post op! Like I mentioned before we wanted to wait for his chest to be closed due its graphic nature. His chest was left open, as most babies are with this specific surgery, due to swelling they accumulate during the procedure. There was a transparent meshed film over it. I am so glad it is closed! Besides the fact that it was one big step in recovery, it is difficult to see anyone in that condition, let alone my 3 week old baby. I would sit in the room with him and just get anxious to leave. Then I would feel guilty for wanting to leave. Laying there so motionless he looked like a doll that needed to be sewn back up.

Lincoln is recovering exceptionally well. All of the doctors keep telling us that all his numbers are strong and they seem very optimistic for a quick recovery. One of the doctors said that he was the "ring leader" of the CVICU. He never ceases to amaze me with his strength. They had to give him a paralytic today so they could re-tape his breathing tube and he started wiggling his toes 10 minutes after they gave it to him. He does the same thing with the sedatives they give to keep him calm.

Dr. Reddy, the surgeon, came to check in on Lincoln. (I am filled with extreme gratitude every time I see that man.) He said everything looked great and they will start pulling out tubes and lines starting tomorrow. They may even take out the breathing tube tomorrow. I can't wait to hold him! Thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers!
Will also managed to get a great future souvenir for Lincoln, a football signed by his good pal Steve Young. And of course he HAD to get a picture with him as proof for all of you who may not believe how tight they are.

Lincoln - my main man, I am so glad I was able to see what a great man you will become!

(Steve Young 49ers
)

5 comments:

Holly said...

Hooray! Lincoln looks great! I'm so glad he's doing so well with his recovery. He is such a strong little boy. And that's awesome that they will start taking out some of the lines/tubes. I hope you get to hold him soon! Thanks for keeping us posted. And I love the picture of Will with Steve Young!

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! So much good news today that I've got happy tears coming down my cheeks. Lincoln looks great! He looks so healthy and strong. So glad things are moving forward with such good results. Also, loved the pix of Will and Steve, and I cried again when I read what Steve wrote on the football. You are on a first-name basis----with your friend, Steve, right? :)

Laura K said...

Yay Lincoln! We dont have internet at our place so I have been calling my mom everyday for her to check your guys's blog and read it to me. Now she regularly checks it and calls me when there are updates.

dkkemp said...

Lincoln looks awesome! I am so happy for your little family! And I'm so proud of your strong little baby! He's definitely a fighter!
49er material, for sure!

Matt and Ashley said...

Cara & Will- I stumbled upon your blog and I read the whole thing bawling my eyes out!I am so glad to see that things are on the up-and-up! You all are so strong! and Linoln what a tropper! Can't wait to see all of you at Seven Peaks next summer!