Thursday, November 19, 2009

First All Nighter

Last night it was my turn to stay with Lincoln. Now that he is on the 3rd floor we are transitioning from the nurses doing everything to us doing everything. We give him his meds, change his diapers, and feed him. The whole time I was pregnant my biggest fear was not being able to stay up with Lincoln, or that I wouldn't hear him and wake up when he cried. Last night I confronted my fears. I thought that I would be grumpy but every time I looked at his precious little face I lit up and all I could do was smile. It was a good night, even with the limited sleep I received. I think I was just happy to be doing what normal mommys and babies do.

Lincoln got his pace maker lines out today! Wahoo! Now all that he has is his NG tube, which he will be coming home with. We have to do training on it today and practice putting it in, I am not excited for that. They are still saying Friday or Saturday as our discharge day. I want to cry every time I think about coming home. Tears of gratitude of course, we are almost home!

8 comments:

Katie I. said...

How exciting!!! I'm so excited for you to come home! Let me know if you want your heater turned on, groceries in the fridge, or anything in preparation for your arrival! :)

Joanna said...

You guys are doing it! Congrats, its always so special bringing your little one home for the first time. We wish your little family the best :)

Dave and Lizzie said...

That's so awesome! Congratulations on bringing him home. Our little Jimmy is still on an NG tube and we hate putting it in but it is really not as bad as I made it out to be in the beginning. You guys will do great. Good luck!

Holly said...

Congrats on making it through your first night! (The whole waking up at night thing was a lot easier to get used to than I thought it would be--especially when you're used to getting up to pump. It's a lot more fun to get up to hold your baby!) It's still hard to believe you're really coming home. So exciting! And good luck with the NG tube. That would be hard, but I'm sure it will get easier the more you do it. You are all still in our prayers!

Justine said...

It is so hard not getting enough sleep. It definetly takes a toll on your body and mind. But even when they cry in the middle of the night you look over and see their sweet little face and it makes it so much easier. You will do so good at being a mommy when you come home! I can't wait for you to be able to experience all the mommy things. Its such an amazing and hard experience. You will do awesome at it!

Soni said...

So did poor Will finally get to sleep in the bed while you were at the hospital? That must have been nice for him :) It will be so good to get home to your big bed where you can all fit!

How long do you anticipate having the NG tube? why?

I bought Lincoln (and Kolby) a little present today :)

Cara said...

Yeah Will got to sleep in a bed finally. We have to keep the NG tube because he isn't eating enough by mouth. He just gets tired so fast. They said that hopefully he should be able to get it out with in a week or two.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! I'm so happy you are finally getting to get to be a mommy to him full scale!!! That must feel so good. It will be even better once you are home. You guys are so awesome! Just another day or two!!!